To define a pattern swatch in Adobe Illustrator:
- Open the Illustrator file containing the desired pattern tile.
- From the Layers panel select the whole layer group of the desired pattern tile by clicking on the circle in the right end of the layer description (Figure 1.1).
- Go to OBJECT > PATTERN > MAKE. (Figure 1.2)
- A Pattern Options dialog box appears (Figure 2.1) and you can see a preview of your pattern tiling with the pattern tile marked (Figure 2.2).
- Click on the Pattern Tile Tool (Figure 2.3) to adjust the spacing around your pattern tile by moving its boundary (Figure 2.4).
- Adjust the width and height of you pattern tile (if needed) by assigning values in their fields. Checking the Size tile to art box will leave no spacing around the pattern tile.
- When you are ready with the settings in the dialog box, click DONE. (Figure 2.5)
Your new pattern swatch is now stored in the Illustrator Swatches panel (WINDOW > SWATCHES) and ready to use.